Thursday, 7 March 2013

My New DI storage shelf

Hi Peeps
Just wanted to share this
I recently bought two DI storage shelves from Crafty Emblies it holds 30 pads if you stack them 3 high and all other pads such as Stazon / Adirondack fit nicely too, £4..50 each peeps ??? BARGAIN ALERT
Mother nicked one and I've decorated the other and thought i'd share how I did it after a few requests

Okay Here goes.......
I painted the whole of the unit in black acrylic (slightly watered down)
Using the TIN FOIL TECHNIQUE I measured out the sides and top and cut card to size and covered the card in foil (i didnt paint at this stage)
(the top pieces lap but you cant see the join due to the pattern)

If you chose an embossing folder with a repeat or a busy pattern, its easy to emboss a section... move the card up in the folder and then carry on until its all embossed and for this effect the paint will cover a multitude of sins so don't be too fussy with it

Once you've embossed your pieces just glue them in place to the unit, (I used modge podge) then I applied the paint but you could do this before you stick them down if you wish

The strips on the shelf fronts are the same technique, I just used a folder with lots of rulers on and cut it into strips, again don't worry about joining it, the paint hides it, if you run down the edges with an embossing tool it makes it look neater !!

I then just covered a chip board frame with scraps of foil and added the text........Done
Im going to order two more and do the same ...... they look great !!



Thanks for looking
Kath x

11 comments:

  1. WOW Kath, these are amazing, I have all my pads in drawers, as crafting from the bedroom, everything, is best kept out of sight, LOL..if I ever do manage to move my children out of the house, I intend to have a Craft Room, where I can display all my goodies...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great hunny there a real great idea to have somewere to put ur inks love them xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, both pete and I are very impressed with these kath, you have done a fantastic job, i really love them, off to put them on the website now !!

    Hugs
    Judie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are Fab Kath... I paid £36 for my woodern distress ink holder :-0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks brilliant Kath & utterly useful too - shall keep that in mind for after our move - attemptint a move back to Exeter.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And how blooming fabulous does it look too! Gr8 project

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blinking Heck Kath this is awesome, waiting for mine to arrive so will definitely be doing something similar as I have LOTS of inks :)
    Hugs
    Linda xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! love what you have done to this, I'm waiting on 2 lots of the 9 drawer units and you have got me inspired to do something with mine when I get them, I hadn't thought to alter them but now I think I will for sure. Great work! Love it x How did your Mum do hers I wonder?

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks absolutely fabulous Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous project, thanks for the tutorial - I can feel a spend coming on!!! x

    ReplyDelete

Hey there crafty friends
Thanks for visiting and your comments
Kath x