Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Faux Leather A4 Journal Tutorial

Hey peeps
 
I've come up with a nifty A4 journal using Sheena Douglass' faux leather technique
and a few tweaks of my own so I thought I'd share
 
 I've made this A4
but you could easily adapt it to make smaller ones

 
To do the basic journal you will need
An A4 note book, (two for a pound at most pound shops)
An A4 embossing folder
Some distress Inks
A water spray and some glycerine
A piece of material or Aida or card 4ins wide 12in long
4 A4 Kraft Card (Two outer, two inner)
(you could use any 300gsm card but you end up with more of a suede effect)
 
Follow Sheena's You Tube HERE to do the basic faux leather technique
BUT DONT SEAL IT YET OR ADD THE INNER MATERIAL !
 
 
These are my two outer leaves, just leave them to dry flat somewhere
 
 
Take your material (I've used Aida)
and distress/colour/grunge up

I added some Inka Gold to give it a mottled gilded look
and creased it lightly down the middle

 
Take the card cover off your note book
I've used two and stuck them together with a thin layer of Mod Podge

Whilst everything was drying I dug out a few bits of Grunge Board Minis
and cut a hinge in grunge Board from TH hardware findings die
I coloured them with green DI and rubbed with Inka Gold
 
I'll use the hinge to fasten my journal
but you could use twine or thong wrapped round
or some ribbon even

 
line up the outer  leaves, leaving about an inch gap
and lay your material over leaving a little over hang at the top and bottom
once you're happy, glue it down with PVA
At this stage you could trap ribbon/thong under to use as a closure if you wish

 
glue the top edge and fold over, do both ends

 This next bit is your preference
I've used plain Kraft card but you could use whatever you wish
Sheena uses material-I've used card to make it more substantial
Bear in mind most of it will be covered up though if you follow the rest of my Tut
 
Next is the embellishing bit so the brads wont show
 
 
 
Line up the hinge half front and back and mark the holes
Don't forget- don't make it too tight as your paper needs to go in yet
I added a hitch fastener at the front for my fastener
and used brads on the back
 
I added a little flourish too
 
 
Next is adding the pages

Take your pages and line them up nicely leaving a bit of space at the spine side
I've used strong DS tape to stick it
Then just close the cover and smooth down and repeat for the back page

 
 I added a few bits to personalise it on the front
Then I sealed the whole thing with Matt Mod Podge
You could use any medium to seal or the use spray and shine as Sheena does
If you use PVA, water it down a little then it spreads nicely


And Ta Dah a nice journal
 
I'm really pleased with how it turned out and I hope you have a go to
Share if you do have a go
 
Be Good
Kath


20 comments:

  1. Kath this looks gorgeous, I have yet to give this a go but have watched the video a few times and thought i must try this lol. I love your fastening its fab
    Thanks for sharing
    hugs
    Marie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks brill Kath. Love the fastening.
    Mags
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabdabidoso will definitely be making one of these thank you for a great tutorial.
    Cat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kath, this is an amazing tutorial, and I will have a go in the future, so will be coming back to check it out again, probable a few times.

    Thank you so much for this.
    Janet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tutorial Kath, loving the fastening and great embellishments too!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab project and nice to see it develop and read what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks fab Kath - my books didn't work out brilliantly so will try your method - looks good xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the tutorial, have got my bits and pieces to do this, might have a play later - thanks again x

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is brilliant hun love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant tutorial Kath, looks great. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kath this is yummy . I really love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Kath. It's fantastic and a great tutorial.XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kath, a fabulous tutorial, love the book too. Thank you for sharing.

    Hugs Erin x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this tutorial - the journal is amazing - must have a go - Thanks again!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word this is amazing. Such a lot of information in your tutorial. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful technique Kathryn.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete

Hey there crafty friends
Thanks for visiting and your comments
Kath x